- Packing a lunch – depending on how complex your lunch is, by the time you’ve cleaned and cut the veggies, set aside the right portions of pasta and cleaned all the extra Tupperware dishes at the end of the day, you’ve probably blown an extra 30 minutes.
- Eating Out – The other side of that coin, you may be waiting in lines, waiting 20 minutes to be served your food at a restaurant and having to drive to and from the location. Before you know it, you’ve lost time from your day that could have been spent doing more productive things.
- Technology – If you’re not Mr. or Mrs. Technology, you’ve probably spent precious time learning or re-learning how to use a certain phone application, or clicked on the wrong buttons, deleted when you meant to save or weren’t able to find your once saved digital shopping list. There are times when the old way of putting pen to paper, is still more efficient than fiddling with complicated and temperamental pieces of technology.
- Driving – Cars can drive faster than humans can walk, but that doesn’t mean they are an efficient means of transportation. If you’ve ever been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, you don’t need this explained. In heavy, rush-hour traffic walking, biking can be quicker (assuming distance isn’t an issue). Public transportation is often a good choice – at least if it doesn’t get you there quicker, you can read or type while sitting in traffic.
- Weak Dishwashers – if you have to ‘wash’ your dishes before putting them in the machine, you may as well just wash them by hand. Dishwashers and detergents are all different. Invest in the things that serve their purpose.
- Multitasking – Usually, the time you think you’re saving by doing multiple things at once is cancelled out by the time spent fixing things that weren’t done correctly. The more balls you juggle the more that are likely to be dropped.
- Self-Checkout – If you think you’re going to beat the line by using the self-checkout machine, it is rarely the case. Any time saved from standing in line usually returns by way of technical malfunctions, products not scanning or not finding your product on the list.